If you or a loved one has been charged with a federal crime, you will find yourself in an arena that is vastly different from that which you would encounter in a Florida district court. Federal courts follow a very precise and unique set of procedures, rely on a distinct and separate body of case law, and have their own set of statutes that define criminal violations.
Not all Florida criminal defense firms are qualified to defend federal criminal cases. We at Boswell & Dunlap LLP have dedicated a substantial portion of our practice to the defense against federal criminal charges, and if you find yourself facing such a charge, we are prepared to bring the full force of our criminal defense team to achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
The Federal Crime Process in Florida
There are many areas of overlapping criminal jurisdiction to state and federal law. As a rule of thumb, federal prosecutors will generally defer to the state of Florida for the prosecution of most minor criminal cases. If however, the scope of the crime is major and involves transactions that cross state lines, they may choose to exercise their jurisdiction.
Types of such crimes are:
- Drug crimes — You may find yourself facing charges in both state and federal court.
- Sex crimes — Crossing state lines for the purpose of prostitution, and trafficking in sexual slavery.
- Computer crimes – May include numerous types of fraud, security breaches, and internet hacking.
- Professional crimes – Involves types of fraud that deal with publicly traded securities.
- Fraud — Fraud can become a federal offense if the scope of the crime involves parties in different states.
- Immigration violations — Illegal immigration is an exclusively federal jurisdiction and may involve smuggling of aliens for profit, or simple unlawful entry.
Defending a federal criminal charge in a U.S. district court is not a task for the uninitiated. It requires a specific skill set that is much more demanding than in Florida state courts. At Boswell & Dunlap LLP, we have honed our federal skills with years of hard-won experience.
If you are charged with a federal offense, you will need to work with a federal crime attorney who understands the federal methodology. Our Polk County criminal defense attorneys serve all of Central Florida. You have nothing to lose and a lifetime of freedom and dignity to gain.