Frequently Asked Questions

Boswell & Dunlap LLP has served the legal needs of Polk County residents for more than a century. If you are seeking a Polk County lawyer, please take a moment to peruse this list of commonly asked questions about who we are, what types of cases we handle, and how we can help you. Choosing a lawyer is an important decision, and we believe it is important for potential clients to be aware of their options and gather as much information as possible in the general legal process. We hope you find the information shared here useful and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Why should I hire Boswell & Dunlap LLP to represent me?
You should consider aligning yourself with our firm because we have a longstanding track record of success and an outstanding reputation among clients and the legal community. Our firm was established over a century ago, and our legal team of Polk County attorneys has extensive legal experience. We are very selective about the lawyers we welcome to our firm, which means our clients can expect to obtain the high-quality legal representation they need and deserve. Your best interest is our number one priority!

What types of cases does Boswell & Dunlap LLP handle?
Boswell & Dunlap LLP accepts many different types of cases. Our areas of practice include civil litigation, business law, government law, real estate law, personal injury, trusts and estates, guardianship, family law, criminal defense, and bankruptcy. No matter what kind of legal matter you are facing, we have the skill to take on even the most complex cases.
Does Boswell & Dunlap LLP represent people outside of Polk County?
Our firm proudly extends our legal services to clients living in Highlands County and Hardee County.
Are any Boswell & Dunlap LLP attorneys Board Certified?
Yes, Attorney David Carmichael is Board Certified in Criminal Trial by the Florida Bar. This accomplishment is a testament to his expert knowledge in this area of the law.

Family Law FAQs

How much child support can I expect to receive?
Child support is calculated based on the income of both parents and the child's specific needs. Having legal representation can help you obtain the child support outcome you need to adequately provide for your child.

Do I need a Polk County divorce lawyer?
It is highly advisable that you hire a Polk County divorce attorney to assist with the divorce process. In doing so, you can help ensure that your rights and interests will be protected. A divorce lawyer can also help you remain level-headed and calm during the divorce process.

How long will my divorce take?
The length of a divorce could take a few months or several years. It depends on the cooperation of both spouses and their assets. For example, a heavily contested divorce needs to be settled in court, which could take several months.

Criminal Law FAQs

What are the penalties for DUI?
The penalties for DUI in Florida for a first-time offense can include one-year license suspension, up to $2,000 in fines, up to 9 months in jail, and the installation of an ignition interlock device. The penalties for subsequent DUI charges are much harsher.

What is the difference between a felony crime and a misdemeanor?
Misdemeanors, while serious crimes, do not result in the most severe charges like felony crimes. Felony crimes can result in serious penalties such as imprisonment, expensive fines, and a criminal record.

I'm thinking of defending myself. Is this a good idea?
We highly recommend that you don't defend yourself against criminal charges. Prosecutors don't have a reputation for being lenient when prosecuting criminal charges. Hiring a Polk County criminal defense lawyer can increase the chances that you will obtain the most successful outcome possible, such as a reduction of charges or a dismissal.

More Questions? Call (863) 533-7117 Today

If you have more questions for our legal team, please don't hesitate to contact us. We would be happy to provide you with the answers you need to move forward with your case.