A car accident can be a disorienting experience. While we all hope that we never have to experience a collision, it is nevertheless important to prepare yourself so that you know what to do in case one occurs. Most people are familiar with the requirement to pull over and exchange insurance information with the other driver, but there is much more that you should (and shouldn’t) do in order to preserve your insurance claim. If you don’t follow these steps, you could seriously harm your case and reduce your chances of receiving an equitable payout to cover all of your losses.
If you have been involved in an accident, keep the following information in mind:
- Avoid admitting fault: It is important that you avoid admitting fault or apologizing after you are involved in an accident. The other driver can use these statements against you, which can jeopardize your ability to recover monetary compensation.
- Don’t Forget to Contact the Police: It is important to contact the police immediately after you have been involved in a collision. A law enforcement officer can arrive at the scene of the accident, record details about the collision, and provide you with a copy of the report. This report can include invaluable evidence about who may have been at fault for the collision.
- Seek medical attention: Many individuals involved in car accidents will refuse medical attention right after a collision occurs. However, if you are injured in a crash, it is crucial that you seek medical attention right away to ensure you have not sustained serious injuries. If you have sustained injuries, your medical records can be used as proof that you have suffered damages, supporting your personal injury claim.
- Take photographs: If it is safe to do so, be sure to take photographs from every angle of the collision, including from the inside of your vehicle. You should also take photos of any visible injuries. Photographic evidence can prove that the accident itself was the direct cause of your injuries and damages.
- Contact an Attorney: Car accident cases can be highly complex due to the wide range of factors involved with proving fault. For this reason, it is wise for car accident victims to contact experienced legal counsel right away. A skilled lawyer can ensure all evidence, documents, and photographs have been gathered in order to pursue monetary compensation for you.
IN NEED OF LEGAL REPRESENTATION? CONTACT BOSWELL & DUNLAP LLP
If you have been involved in a vehicle collision and believe another driver should be held liable for your injuries, contact our Polk County car accident lawyers at Boswell & Dunlap LLP right away. Since 1900, our legal team has stood by the sides of those harmed by the negligence, recklessness, and carelessness of others. When you entrust your case to our team, we can handle all of the complicated legal matters associated with your case so you can focus on the road to recovery.
Contact Boswell & Dunlap LLP today and let a Polk County car accident attorney put their experience on your side.